By Oluwatosin Adebowale
President Muhammadu Buhari has said he would hand over to the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, come May 29, 2023.
President Buhari’s reaction followed a statement ascribed to him suggesting he would not hand over to the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the expiration of his tenure on 29th May.
The President, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, described the statement, as “outrageous and fake”.
He said it was preposterous that, “you can vigorously campaign for somebody, vote for the person and then say you won’t hand over to him. According to him, ‘this beggars belief’.
“The situation of the Sahara Reporters is pretty pathetic since their ownership is politically partisan in today’s politics, in fact, a loser in the presidential election. Instead of talking about issues, they repeatedly sell lies in the hope that people believe them as truth”.
Buhari further pointed out that the government is already in the transition phase. “The Transition Committee made up of representatives of the outgoing administration and the incoming one, is meeting almost daily, planning the handover to the Tinubu-Shettima administration.
“Thirteen committees as offshoots of the main committee, some, to arrange military drills and pulling out of President Buhari, are either all at work or soon to be. So far, everything is going very well and there is no indication of any hitches.
“As for the President, the Daura community has begun their preparations to receive their son back after the successful administration of the country for two terms of eight years. He, for his part, is eager to return home to enjoy his retirement”, the statement read.